13 roommating lessons we can all learn from Friends
Ah, Friends. Our favorite roommate sitcom - full of one-liners, hilarious situations and witty script writing.
One of the biggest parts of Friends' charm is just how much those six New Yorkers had apartment shairng nailed, and how they managed to make their living situations work for a whole decade. Every episode proved that life really is better shared...
Here are a few lessons in roommating that we can all learn from Chandler, Joey, Ross, Monica, Phoebe and Rachel.
1. The grocery store probably isn't the best place to find a potential roommate...
That's exactly where Chandler met the bizarre Eddie. A roomie who watched him sleep, brought home strange, random items (like that mannequin head) and had a pet in the form of a fish-shaped cracker called Buddy...
2. On moving day, don't forget to pivot
How else will you get that giant bed frame up four flights of stairs?!
3. Your roommate might have some questionable tastes in interior design
Remember Chandler and Joey’s big white dog?! Just breathe, and try to ignore the offending item...
4. And their choice of fancy dress might also be a little odd
5. Building a living room fort is ALWAYS a good idea...
...and in Joey’s case, actually helped him and Ross overcome their differences as roommates when Ross moved in. Lesson learned: there’s no tension that fort-building can’t diffuse.
6. ALWAYS wear oven mitts
Because margaritas + cooking = BAD idea. Just ask a burnt-handed Ross.
7. Be wary if your flatmate offers you a makeover...
^ Case in point.
8. Remember to make time to hang out together
It's all about chilling and doing the things you love together.
9. Sharing clothes isn't always okay
...especially when they think it's funny to wear everything you own...with no underwear on...
10. Beware of your strange neighbors
Although if they're anything like Ugly Naked Guy, you'll probably all end up bonding from the horror of it all.
11. It's okay to be upset when your roommate decides to move in with a boy
Just don't do a Rachel/Monica and start listing all the things you won't miss about each other...it'll never make the separation easier.
12. But know that living alone kinda sucks
Joey learned this the hard way when he decided to move out of his apartment with Chandler and get his own place (only to move back in almost immediately).
13. Because when it comes down to it, your roomies will always be there for you
Cos you're there for them too ❤️